Saturday, March 1, 2008

Concept painting 1 - House of the Dead

Hi y'all. It's been a while.

The whole month of Feb was riddled with flu virus that kept me out of commission for the longest time. It's the first time I've ever been that sick, aside from the food poisoning several years ago. Well that's over with now, and I hope to never be that sick again.

Anyway I just started on a new piece. It's a rather familiar subject, well, I guess you could call it a tribute painting. It's a game I used to love playing back in college days, blowing up evil zombies and such. No it's not Resident Evil, it's an arcade game called House of the Dead.
I can't remember how much money I put in that machine to beat the high scores many many times. And I've since played the three sequels that followed, but none of them really measured up to the original, in my opinion.

Yes I know there was a movie adaptation, but I never saw it. In fact, I didn't want to see it, especially after seeing the first trailer and the subsequent reviews that came out. I knew if I saw it I'd cry and it'd kill everything I loved about the game. So screw to the filmmaker that tarnished it.

Anyway onward to the painting. Here is the initial layout of the background. I went for a slanted perspective to give the image that odd twisted feeling you get from horror movies. I've built up the set with Illustrator, using my custom perspective grid as guide. I only made one window which I'm gonna tweak it later in Photoshop.


This is the start; I'm working on overall color palette and lighting now, which I'll post later.

No comments: